Nature of Health Information
Nature of Health Information
SESSION LONG PROJECT – Introduction
The intent of the SLP is for you to apply the theoretical and general aspects covered in each module, to a real-life and practical project.
The SLP revolves around the use of health informatics for a healthcare delivery system of your choice. This exercise will give you a more in-depth appreciation for the real world application. This assignment spans modules 1 thru 5 with a portion of the assignment due at the end of each module. The final paper will combine the submissions from modules 1 thru 4. It will need to be a cohesive final project to include an introduction and concluding paragraph.
Before you identify the healthcare delivery system that will be the focus of the assignment, I would suggest reading the SLP for each module to ensure you understand what is expected in the final product. This will ensure that you select a healthcare delivery system where you will have ready access to the needed information.
The SLP is a cumulative project that will demonstrate the culmination of your understanding and your ability to:
• Identify a healthcare delivery system that uses health informatics to improve clinical outcomes;
• Conduct a relevant literature review;
• Research current systems in the field of healthcare informatics;
• Analyze and synthesize the researched materials;
• Write and present a comprehensive academic paper.
Note: the SLP is not merely a survey and observation of one’s working place. It is research oriented; therefore, you will support your assessment/recommendations by referencing them to your research.
MODULE 2 ASSIGNMENT:
For this Module you will need to complete the following tasks. This section will be added to the end of your Module 1 submission.
1. Identify the inputs, throughputs, and outputs of the health informatics system in use for Radiology department in a US Naval medical treatment facility
2. Where is the data housed?
3. Who enters the data that is used in the various applications?
4. How is the integrity of the data ensured?
Session Long Project Assignment Expectations
Length: SLP assignments should be at least 2 pages in length.
References: At least two references should be included from academic sources (e.g. peer-reviewed journal articles).
Required readings are included. As much as possible use your own words and build on the ideas of others. When material is copied verbatim from external sources, it MUST be enclosed in quotes. The references should be cited within the text and also listed at the end of the assignment in the References section (preferably in APA format).
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to question
Format: APA format is recommended for this assignment.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted, assignments are expected to adhere to standards guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity.
The following items will be assessed in particular:
• Relevance (e.g. all content is connected to the question)
• Precision (e.g. specific question is addressed. Statements, facts, and statistics are specific and accurate).
• Depth of discussion (e.g. present and integrate points that lead to deeper issues)
• Breadth (e.g. multiple perspectives and references, multiple issues and factors considered)
• Evidence (e.g. points are well-supported with facts, statistics and references)
• Logic (e.g. presented discussion makes sense, conclusions are logically supported by premises, statements, or factual information)
• Clarity (e.g. writing is concise, understandable, and contains sufficient detail or examples)
• Objectivity (e.g. avoid use of first person and subjective bias)