Workplace Health and Safety: Psychology and Management
You are an in-house business psychologist for a large international company. The company
has growing concerns regarding the health and wellbeing of their employers. More
specifically, the organisation has notice a growing level of job dissatisfaction amongst
employees, and at company level increased rates of sickness absence. The CEO and senior
management of the company would like to have a more full and in-depth understanding of
the nature and management of:
– work-related stress;
– working hours;
– work demands;
– work-life conflict;
– bullying; and
– social support in the workplace.
The summary report should address several key areas and issues:
1) What is the issue or problem?
2) How common is it?
3) What are the causes and consequences of this problem/issue?
4) How does psychology and psychological theory help us understand and, in turn,
manage or prevent this problem?
5) Outline and describe key policy and legal documents relating to the selected area
that employers should be made aware of or bear in mind.