Child Abuse and Neglect
Case Study Analysis and Response – Use Australian child protection system to answer all Tasks in this assignment.
You are required in your professional context to respond in some way to clients with histories of abuse/neglect and in some of the cases the abuse and neglect might be current and ongoing, or it
might be historical but involved trauma or cumulative harm, the effects of which are ongoing and interfere with a person’s capacity to function in life and live a serene and fulfilling life.
Your task for this assessment is to analyse the case material and assess the support needs of the child, family and relevant others that emerge from your assessment of the material. You are
required to generate a holistic support plan based on your assessment of needs.
1. Outline a set of principles that you understand inform your professional practice in the child protection environment and relevant best practice indicators that logically follow from these
principles. (A principle may be ‘work in partnership with the family’ an indicator would be ‘all communication regarding the case occurs in cooperation with the family and all stakeholders’ – there
should be several indicators for each principle)
2. Make a provisional assessment of the possible support needs of the child and family on the basis of the case notes provided, and your knowledge of the different types of abuse and neglect.
Critically analyse the evident and possible risk and protective factors that can help you frame up a support plan. Identify what further information you may require and where/how you could get that
3. Provide a strong justification for the proposed intervention by critically analysing the potential impact and possible outcomes of the abuse/neglect (relevant to the family) for the futures of
the child and family should the situation remain unaddressed. Clearly harm is being done and that in itself is justification for intervention, however, you need to apply the key concepts from the
course to the case to provide a more detailed rationale.
4. Outline a holistic support plan for the case based on your assessment. You should discuss:
• The type of interventions that you would employ to support the child-family system;
• The aim of the interventions and how you would actually implement it;
• The way you will evaluate the plan – how you will know it is working or not.