1. What is ‘Atmospheric Perspective”?
2. If “Renaissance” means ‘rebirth,” then describe what exactly is being born again
during this period. What Classical attributes are the Italians borrowing from the Greeks
or Romans? Make sure you are specific in your response.
3. How did the shift in patronage that occurred from the Gothic to the Renaissance
period and how did this shift alter artistic production?
4. How do fifteenth-century Northern painters present the devotional visions of the
patrons within their paintings? Focus your answer on a specific example.
5. Choose one wealthy patron discussed in this chapter and explain how this
patronage fostered the emergence of the Renaissance in fifteenth-century Italy.
6. Explain the symbolic meanings that fifteenth-century viewers would have
comprehended in the objects obtained in the domestic environments of either the
Merode Altarpiece (Fig. 12-3) or the Amolfini double portrait (Fig. 12-1). How have the
artists made these objects look real?
7. What is a diptych?
8. Define linear perspective. Choose a work in this chapter that clearly demonstrates its
use and discuss how the artist employs this technique. Does perspective affect its use
and discuss how the artist employs this technique. Does perspective affect the way the
story is told or the meaning that it conveys?
9. What is Trompe ‘ten?
10. What is the difference between a woodcut and a engraving? Explain. 11. After viewing the video link above, what is your interpretation of this canvas? Is it really a wedding portrait? LINK –