Orthodox accounts of the origin of the ‘new police’
Orthodox accounts of the origin of the ‘new police’ offer a progressive view of policing as an essential part of the civilising process whilst revisionists see policing as a state response to class conflict. Discuss which of these views has more relevanc
Critical and discourse analysis Report
Using an aspect of professional practice from your own experience either on field placement, or from your own human services-related paid work, write a 2000 word discourse analysis report that will:
1. Critically analyse a relevant social policy as it impacts on service users and on social work practices using the template provided, and which employs an approach to critical discourse analysis based on Carol Bacchi’s framework.
2. Analyse the underlying policy agenda from a critical perspective, outlining what assumptions are evident about the nature of social relations or populations within society;
3. Outline how social policies have impacted on the relevant social service agency policies and practices;
4. Analyse how social workers could practice ethically and transcend the political agendas of governments or potentially oppressive social policies; It is suggested that you select a social policy initiative relevant to your current social service work context, or your field education placement agency, however, this is not essential.
Choose an area of social policy that interests you, or an area about which you have some prior knowledge. Several social policies will be placed on Blackboard and you may also choose to analyse one of these, if you wish.
Criteria Your report will be assessed according to your ability to:
• Demonstrate critical awareness of a relevant social policy; its policy discourses and agendas and inherent assumptions; and its impacts on service users and work practices at an organisational level. • Articulate how social work ethics can be drawn upon and demonstrated in practice that could transcend the political agendas of governments or potentially oppressive social policies.