The following post has two assignments namely;
Imagine walking into a village in another country. You find that a local military officer is about to shoot three people lined up against the wall. You ask, “Why are you shooting these people? They
look quite harmless.”
The officer says, “Last night somebody in this village shot one of my men. I know that somebody in this village is guilty, so I am going to shoot these three to set an example.”
You say,”You can’t do that! You’re going to kill an innocent person. If only one shot was fired, then perhaps two of these people are innocent, perhaps all three. You just can’t do that.”
The officer takes a rifle from one of his men and hands it to you saying, “You shoot one of them for me and I’ll let the other two go. You can save two lives if you shoot one of them. I’m going to
teach you that in civil war you can’t have these holier than thou attitudes.”
In your own words, answer the following questions.
1. What ethical values caused “you” to intervene in this situation?
2. What assumptions about responsibility for life and death did you bring into this situation?
3. About guilt and innocence?
4. What about the military officer? What cultural or other circumstances could explain his actions?
5. To fully weigh your options, what other information, cultural or otherwise, would you need to know?
6. How could you find a solution that satisfies both your own personal ethical standards, and also your responsibilities to respect other cultures?
7. Finally, what choice do you make to resolve this problem?
2.Language Acquisition Factors
Each scenario in the “Language Acquisition Factors: Scenarios I and II” includes at least three factors that affect the students’ language acquisition. Think of the language factors present for
each student. Choose ONE scenario, and answer the following questions in a 500-word essay: Identify what you see as a positive or negative force in their English language acquisition abilities. How
might any of these factors also affect the rate of language acquisition? What other contributing factors can you identify as an obstacle or asset to your selected case study acquiring English