“Before the flood” movie analysis
1. In the movie introduction, a few excerpts of Fox News broadcasts are shown. They denounce the fact that Leonardo DiCaprio has “zero years of scientific training” about climate change. While
this is true that Mr. DiCaprio is not a scientist, what do think is ironic or hypocritical in Fox News’s statements? (Maybe Dr. Michael Mann’s statements further in the movie are helpful).
3. What happens on a regular basis in the city of Miami Beach? What has the city managed to do to get around that problem? What are some costs?
4. How long does Philip Levine, the mayor of Miami Beach expects its mitigation system to work for?
7. What were scientists knowing in 1958 about what a few degrees of warming could do to the Earth? What can we say of their predictions, considering that we have witnessed about 1°C of warming
13. What is the nation of Kiribati’s long term strategy for coping the long term effects of climate change?
16. How may a Republican politician possibly successfully advocate for a carbon tax, knowing that Republican voters and elected officials are generally opposed to higher taxes?
17. Why is the Pentagon (US Department of Defense), as reported by formed President Barack Obama, concerned by climate change?
18. Can we expect to see some parts of the world cool down (notably Europe)? What would be a reason for this?