The influence of money in elections.
1. Discuss the influence of money in elections.
2. Explain the difference between a PAC and a SuperPAC.
3. What was the argument presented in Citizen’s United vs. FEC?
4. Identify and explain the four keys to a successful campaign for congress.
5. What is a specific idea you have to reform elections?
6. Explain step by step how the electoral college works.
7. What is the purpose of a primary?
8. What is the difference between reapportionment and gerrymandering?
9. Describe the three stages of a presidential campaign.
10. What is negative campaigning and why do candidates rely so heavily on it?
11. Describe the evolution of the two-party system in the United States.
12. What is the difference between a public interest group and a special interest group? Give an example of each.
13. What is lobbying?
14. Explain the difference between pluralist theory and power elite theory.
15. What is the Iron Triangle of Bureaucracy?
16. Explain the five major jobs of political parties.
17. What is the purpose of a Third Party in the U.S.?
18. Describe the three key aspects of public involvement that party identification shapes.
19. What is the party platform?
20. What is the Federal Regulation of Lobbying Act?
21. Examine and discuss the internal workings of Congress.
22. What is the difference between a filibuster and cloture?
23. What is the difference between a trustees and delegate?
24. Describe the leadership structure of the House and the Senate.
25. Explain step by step how a bill becomes a law.
26. Explain the evolution of the executive branch.
27. What is imperialism? Which president is famous for calling himself the imperial president?
28. Explain the difference between expressed powers, delegated powers, and inherent powers of the president.
29. Describe two of the jobs of the president.
30. What is meant by going public?
31. Describe the role of the Vice President in the executive branch and in congress.
32. Explain two of the agencies in the Executive Office of the President and what they do.
33. Explain the difference between the merit system and the spoils system.
34. What is a whistleblower?
35. Describe the evolution of the judicial branch.
36. Explain how the judicial branch is organized.
37. What did the case Marbury v. Madison entail and what precedence did it set?
38. Explain the difference between judicial activism and judicial restraint.
39. What is the difference between common law, civil law, and criminal law? Give an example of each.
40. What is the rule of four and how is it related to a writ of certiorari?
41. What is the difference between a majority opinion, a concurring opinion, and a dissenting opinion?
42. What is meant by stare decisis?
43. What was the Lochner era?
44. What did the case U.S. vs. Nixon entail and what precedence did it set?
45. What did the case Bush vs. Gore entail and what precedence did it set?
46. What did the case National Federation vs. Sebelius entail and what precedence did it set?
47. What are the five stages of achieving policy responses?
48. What is the Federal poverty line?
49. What is an entitlement program?
50. Describe the three goals of American Foreign Policy.