Monolog: ″The voice of Sadako″
Respond to particular situations in the novel. Although the responses are to be creative in nature, the text must remain central to this task. Appropriate development of the original material is encouraged.
The focus is the voice of Sadako Sennosuke
The task is in three parts:
1. A reflection/interior monologue on hearing of her husband’s being lost at sea
2. A reflection/interior monologue on receiving the compensation money from Mike Penrose
3. A letter to her dead husband after the Festival of the Lanterns.
Write as if you were Sadako
Write them all on the same sheet, just give each the right heading.
Word limit: 600 words minimum. Each piece does not have to be the same length as the others.
Understanding of the characters, ideas and plot in the novel
Appropriate development of ideas and events in the novel
Understanding of the historical and social context of the novel
Use of the interior monologue/narrative/diary/reflection text type- remember that Sadako is Japanese, despite this, her interior thoughts would be fluent. Therefore you must write in fluent English for these pieces.
Appropriate vocabulary: this 40s Australia
Tone: develop a suitable voice for Sadako
Fluency of expression
You may wordprocess or handwrite this work.
Here’s how to lay out the work. I’ve included some scenarios to help get you focussed on the moment:
2. Mike Penrose has been round to give her the compensation money for Zeke’s death.
SCENARIO: Mike has left and she goes to bed and gathers her thoughts.
3. Sadako’s letter to her husband
SCENARIO: After the Festival of Lanterns she goes home and writes a letter to her husband.