1. Distinguish between an “elegant” and “inelegant” outcome in REBT. Give an example of each, using the same client presenting problem.
2. I am your client. I believe that I will never overcome my addictions. You are an REBT therapist. Dispute my belief. Also, specify what forms the two REBT outcomes might take in my case.
3. Evaluate REBT’s utility for clients who are of diverse backgrounds and for those who suffer from an addiction. What are its strengths and potential pitfalls?
4. Choose one therapeutic technique, define it and give a client example: a) questioning, b) thought recording, c) activity scheduling.
5. Describe two cognitive distortions identified by Beck and give examples that an addicted client might present.
6. Evaluate Cognitive Therapy’s utility for use with clients from diverse backgrounds and with those suffering from an addiction. What are some strengths and potential pitfalls of this approach?
Reality and Feminist Therapy
1. Define Quality World. How does it fit in with the Reality Therapy version of psychological health and dysfunction?
2. Describe Choice Theory and External Control Theory. How might each apply to someone with an addiction?
3. Discuss the core tenets of Feminist Therapy.
4. Describe the feminist therapy perspective on psychological dysfunction.
5. Describe the relationship between client and counselor in feminist therapy.
6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of feminist therapy in terms of working with clients from diverse backgrounds and in treating those with an addiction? Can feminist therapy work for male clients?