Human Rights Law and Policy
CHOSE ONLY ONE (1) OUT OF THE LIST AND WRITE THE ANSWER (4000 WORDS)
1. “International law is the vanishing point of jurisprudence”. Critically evaluate this claim.
2. “We tortured some folks.” Critically evaluate whether CIA interrogation techniques breached customary international law.
3. Same sex marriage was recently legalised in Australia. Evaluate the relevance of international human rights law to this debate.
4. Humanitarian intervention is undermining the UN Charter. Critically evaluate this claim in relation to the United Nations Security Council intervention in Libya.
5. The UN has found evidence of genocide committed by Islamic State against the Yazidi ethnic group. Critically evaluate the limits of human rights law in responding to mass atrocity and discuss the scope of any remedy.
6. Philippine President Duterte has announced that he intends to reintroduce the death penalty. Critically evaluate the effectiveness of human rights law as a constraint on state behaviour in this instance.
7. Following a number of domestic terrorist attacks the French government started to police the ‘Burkini.’ Critically evaluate the competing human rights discourses behind this approach.