Write an essay (approx. 1500 words) on ONE of the following topics
1) Pocahontas tells a “true” story, about “real” people, as if it were a musical fantasy, set in colonial America. Write an essay discussing the way the film represents Pocahontas and John Smith, using details from the film’s use of intense colour, music, body shape, and movement. Why is this famous pair shown this way?
2) “These maps have no manners. The smaller locales are out-roared and outrageously bullied by empires and kingdoms.” (Kellyana Morey, “Cartography”, p194.) Use this quote as a starting point for an essay about how Māori and/or Pacific writers describe and challenge the power difference between “smaller locales” and “empires and kingdoms.” Do they accept the idea of smallness? How do empires and kingdoms “bully” these places?
3) Throughout history, music has been bound by rules and conventions which have always been challenged, bent and broken. Discuss how any one of the following composers have changed the course of musical development: Beethoven; Wagner; Schoenberg; Pierre Boulez; John Cage; David Bowie.
4) Digital technologies have had a significant impact on the narratives we tell. From lo-fi, autobiographical filmmaking in Tarnation (Jonathan Caouette, 2003) to the rise of VR, cinematic storytelling has been liberated to explore inner and outer worlds. A low budget is no longer a restriction on creativity and facilitates personal filmmaking that has more resonance than blockbusters. Write an essay on a low-budget film that reflects a personal journey. Consider the role of digital technology in its production and examine its narrative execution. NB: Your essay must explore the personal journey of a character within the film you have chosen. You may not write about your own work, or your own personal journey. “Low budget” means a budget of under $500,000.
5) Philip Pullman has said that the idea for Pantalaimon, Lyra’s daemon, came to him as the solution to a very practical story-telling problem: how do you show what’s going on in a character’s head, without resorting to clunky explanations? He continues: “Then I saw what the daemons were, and what they did, and how important they were, and I realised that they were a very good way into the whole story.” Write an essay exploring the appeal and function of daemons in Northern Lights. https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/videos/teaching-content/philip-pullman-interview-pullman-his-inspiration-daemons-his-dark-materials-series/
6) In Catherine Chidgey’s novel The Wish Child, a teacher delivers a series of monologues as she accompanies her class on trips to German factories. How does Chidgey make one voice speak for many in these passages, and how do the factory visits reflect the events unfolding on a larger scale in Nazi Germany? Are there any points of slippage, at which the teacher betrays her true thoughts? If so, what do these accomplish in the novel?
7) F.W. Murnau’s Nosferatu uses the figure of the vampire through which to explore clashes between genders, religions, classes, and nationalities. But for all the film’s interest in the differences between these worlds, it also strongly emphasises similarities between them. Examine the ways in which the film connects Count Orlock, Hutter, and Ellen, and analyse the significance of these connections.
8) Discuss the proposition that many cinema worlds today are created as much by fans as they are by scriptwriters and directors. Base your discussion both on examples of fan activity around The Lord of the Rings and/or Hobbit film series and on one or two other films that you are familiar with. While considering fan identities, fan practices and to what degree they influence production, also discuss the limits of fan activity. When does it deviate too much from the rules of the source world and what happens when it does?
An Analysis of a Range of Issues in Quality Frameworks, Processes and Methods of Measurement in Mental Health Work and Social Work Practice Presentation In likening the different scope of issues as for quality structures, forms and additionally techniques for estimation in emotional well-being work and social work rehearse it is imperative to comprehend the significance of these terms and also their separate applications in the United Kingdom, which speaks to the subject concentration for the previously mentioned. Psychological well-being is characterized as (Houghton Mifflin, 2006): ” A condition of passionate and mental prosperity … ” whereby people can use their particular “… intellectual and enthusiastic abilities … ” to work as individuals from society and also to “… meet the customary requests … ” which are a procedure of day by day living” With regards to emotional well-being administrations it identifies with “A branch of solution that arrangements with … accomplishment and upkeep … ” (Houghton Mifflin, 2006) of the mental prosperity of people. The International Federation of Social Workers (Bouldertherapist.com, 2006) characterizes social work as a calling that “… advances social change, critical thinking in human connections … ” and in addition giving people the strengthening and freedom “… to upgrade their prosperity”. The calling, as kept up by the International Federation of Social Workers uses “… speculations of human conduct and social frameworks … ” in a setting whereby the calling intercedes and interfaces with people at the regions where they “… communicate with their surroundings” and whereby the standards of both human rights and social equity are underpinnings in the field of social work (Bouldertherapist.com, 2006). These two fields have a denominator in like manner, which is that they exist to serve individuals and help them to enhance, and in addition adapt to their aliments and to eventually come back to a refreshing state. The way toward serving people in this limit speaks to the absolute most difficult callings in that the investigation of viability, quality, forms and the philosophies used in estimating the previously mentioned as for the differed issues emerging from the dynamic practice can be subjective in many occasions. This examination should take a gander at the psychological wellness and social work callings from the setting of a scope of issues speaking to quality systems, procedures and strategies for estimation to decide the advance improved in giving administration and quality to patients and carers. Add up to Quality Management Deming (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 138, 248), Crosby (1980, pp. 212-223) and Juran (1992, pp. 171) are for the most part defenders of ‘Add up to Quality Management’ which is a technique devoted to working into an association the attention to speculation as far as installing quality in all periods of an association’s procedures. The International Organization for Standardization (2006) characterizes ‘Add up to Quality Management’ as being “… an administration approach … focused on quality … which is … in view of the investment of every one of its individuals … that goes for long haul achievement … ” (Wikipedia, 2006) accomplishing the prior through client or potentially customer fulfillment that creates “… advantages to all individuals … ” (Wikipedia, 2006). The former incorporates the association itself and also society. In likening quality, the standard setting in which one thinks about this word is in items, instead of administrations such a those items which are made with at least issues, of good materials and which work appropriately and accomplish this through reliable activity. Notwithstanding, quality as a final product is an authoritative outlook, and as alluded to in the International Organization for Standardization (2006) definition as a procedure “… that goes for long haul achievement … ” accomplishing the previous through client or potentially customer fulfillment that creates “… advantages to all individuals … ” (Wikipedia, 2006). Deming (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 6-10) is an American expert who uncovered the significance of actualizing a quality situated association that pervades each feature of an association’s structure and culture, paying little mind to office or capacity. Deming (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 8) expresses that associations must create “… items and administrations that assistance individuals to live better” and that the former “… is the raison d’etre … ” (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 8) of the association. His rationality is that through the reception of value items and administrations, which is an element of administration instilling its staff in quality and development measures, the finished result and additionally benefit enhances as does its association with its clients or potentially customers. Crosby (1980, p. 1-5) shows that oversights or poor hierarchical propensities or potentially arrangements are expensive as far as revisions and the harm to notoriety and resolve and that all individuals from an association have the duty to play out their employments which upgrades the execution of different capacities subsequently turning into a synergistic impact. Crosby (1980, p. 4-8), as does Deming (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 6-10) and Juran (1992, pp. 171) all underscore the significance of value in expanding an association’s capacity to give benefits that meet and surpass customer desires through the impact that quality introduction has on inward relational connections and receptiveness to thoughts. The core of the work level methods of insight held by Deming (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 138, 248), Crosby (1980, pp. 212-223) and Juran (1992, pp. 171) is the commitment of ‘value’ to the condition of enhanced administrations and advancement in increasing hierarchical models. The term ‘quality’ would thus be able to mean in this unique circumstance (Wikipedia, 2006): the brilliance as well as accomplishment of a question or administration, implying that it isn’t second rate or sub-standard, an importance of greatness in its own particular right ‘Quality’ is a term in this setting is synonymous with great, which speaks to the criteria used as the standard being connected. Deming (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 138, 248), Crosby (1980, pp. 212-223) and Juran (1992, pp. 171) liken this word in the accompanying way: (Deming, 1988) states that enhanced quality decreases working expenses through less blunder and rectification measures. He shows that to accomplish the first a consistency of reason should be taught all through the association with a general arrangement that is kept up. (Deming, 1988) stresses the requirement for enhanced consistency on a progressing premise and to evacuate the obstructions between different divisions to increment and enhance correspondence, input and intra-organization working procedures. (Deming, 1988) thirteen point program focuses on that it is administration that leads and sets the case and also underpins continuous quality through dynamic investment that includes everybody inside the association and in addition recommendations and commitments from working accomplices and customers. Juran (1992, pp. 154-198) states that quality application in associations is characterized by making them to be used in setting with the associations reason to enhance execution. Crosby (1980, pp. 189-216) likewise trumpets the utilization of value all through the association as an administration down capacity that must be kept up, instructed and in addition imparted to bring the staff on board, as well as focused on the reception of value and upgrades as a hierarchical state of mind. Moullin (2002, pp. 2-7) prompts us that quality in wellbeing and social care fits inside these fields as it is imperative to: patients and additionally benefit clients, staff, and the use of value can help in the lessening of expenses and additionally give better administration with regards to budgetary and cost limitations. It is fascinating to take note of that Moullin’s (2002, pp. 2-7) focuses are the same as those underscored by Deming (Aquayo, 1991, pp. 138, 248), Crosby (1980, pp. 212-223) and Juran (1992, pp. 171) in the general setting of aggregate quality administration, and that the application in the wellbeing and social care fields is the same with respect to assembling, keeping money, or some other modern area. Moullin (2002, pp. 2-7) brings up that quality in the wellbeing and social care fields is critical in that not exclusively do patients and in addition benefit clients advantage in that their varying prerequisites are met in a superior, more thorough and finish mold, the advantage of value additionally influences both these gatherings each time they come into contact with the organization(s) and in this way their individual certainty levels ascend with the desire that they will get great administration and be very much treated. Moullin (2002, pp. 5) educates that patients in require concerning wellbeing and social administrations are typically focused, stressed, defenseless and in addition scared as for the result of their need(s) and that long looks out for the phone, in lines, for reactions, little or deficient data, poor offices and harshness worsen the former. He (Moullin, 2002, pp. 6-8) shows that quality in these fields, wellbeing and social care, is vital in that: The staff benefits as most by far chose for a vocation in these fields out of a longing to help other people, as opposed to for money related additions and that inadequately composed staffing capacities add to disappointments for workers diminishing their resolve and additionally adequacy. Moullin (2002, p. 6) includes that quality is imperative in the lessening of expenses as he exhorts that the connection amongst’s assets and quality speaks to a solid relationship. And keeping in mind that the sum and number of staffing is vital, quality can be enhanced regardless through the utilization of new creative procedures, innovation, work process arranging, booking and different means. Moullin (2002, p 6) shows that diminishment in costs here and there implies expanding administration>