A blog post of about 100 words on algorithm efficiency. The blog post is about “An analysis of the efficiency and correctness of an algorithm”. The instruction sheet explains everything and has the specific blog post topic that needs to be written about.
CMP4272 Data Structures and Algorithms UG1
Final blog post: Algorithm analysis
Write a blog post analysing the efficiency and correctness of an algorithm.
This could become the post you submit for the fourth part of the coursework, “An analysis of the efficiency and correctness of an algorithm”. You should choose either a standard algorithm, or an algorithm you have written yourself.
Blog post topic:
• Analyse the linear search algorithm.
◦ Briefly explain the problem of searching for an index, and how the algorithm works.
◦ Show code for the algorithm – this can be found in the Week 8 self-study material.
◦ Analyse the efficiency – see the previous page. For more marks, consider the separate cases when the list does contain the target, and when it doesn’t.
◦ Analyse the correctness – this is partly done in Q1b from the Week 13 exercises.
▪ Identify the loop invariant.
▪ How does the invariant guarantee the algorithm finds the first index of the target, in case it occurs more than once?
▪ What is the loop variant?
◦ Compare with the binary search algorithm.
A good blog post for the assessment should include:
• A brief explanation of what problem the algorithm solves, and how the algorithm works.
• An implementation of the algorithm, including code.
• An analysis of the algorithm’s efficiency:
◦ Measure the running time for a range of input sizes.
◦ Determine the algorithm’s complexity in ‘big O’ notation, by static analysis.
◦ Explain the average case, and the best and worst cases.
• An analysis of the algorithm’s correctness:
◦ Specify the algorithm’s postcondition, and preconditions (if any).
◦ Specify any invariants.
◦ Specify any variants required to show the algorithm terminates.
• A comparison with an alternative algorithm:
◦ Which is faster, and why?
◦ Does one algorithm have a lower complexity?
An excellent blog post should also include:
• An analysis for various kinds of inputs – e.g. if the input is a list, does it matter whether the list is random, ordered, contains duplicates, etc.?
• Code used to analyse the algorithm, which your explanations should refer to. (Code should be included to help your explanation – not just for the sake of it.)
You are encouraged to read and refer to information and code from other sources. Other sources are especially likely to help you find code, and information about the efficiency, complexity and correctness of standard algorithms. However, information from other sources must be referenced appropriately. This doesn’t need to be a formal referencing style (e.g. Harvard) but it should be completely clear from your blog post which information or code came from another source, and what source it came from.
Only use information from trustworthy sources – Wikipedia is actually good for data structures and algorithms, and textbooks are very likely to be correct, but e.g. answers on StackOverflow may contain errors.
General advice (Optional):
• Do the analysis before you start writing the blog post.
• You can use the framework code from the Week 12 exercises to do a dynamic analysis of the efficiency; https://dsaa.werp.site/post/exercises-algorithm-efficiency/
• Use assertions and tracing to analyse correctness, but not when analysing the efficiency – they will make the algorithm slower.
• If you need to assert something about part of a list, use slices (e.g. lst[:i] or lst[i:]).
• Trace the algorithm to help find invariants and variants, by writing print(locals()) before a loop and at the end of the loop body.
• The loop variant is not necessary a variable, it could be e.g. the difference between two variables, or the length of a list.
Your blog post should be about 1000 words long.
It is fitting to finish the theme of Strategic Planning, and our Subject of Clinical Leadership and Management, with some editorial on the part of purchasers in human services administration and arranging (and administration). 10.8.1 | Reading In your course book, read pp. 401-2 and 408-13 in the Chapter on Consumerism and Ethics. Note the American point of view. 10.8.2 | Consumer Engagement in Recent Times Doctor’s facilities were obviously once “possessed” by the group. Numerous not revenue driven healing centers specifically still hold this nearby or beneficent possession and obviously we as a whole “claim” open doctor’s facilities which are to a great extent financed by the citizen. Before the 1970’s in Australia, the idea of doctor’s facilities as specialist’s “workshops” and bureaucratic administration structures pretty much ruled out shoppers in the administration of doctor’s facility and wellbeing administrations. Clinic blocks obviously were made of wellbeing administration purchasers however these to a great extent took up an administrative instead of a customer support or warning part. When I began overseeing healing facilities in the mid 1980’s it was regular for doctor’s facilities to have customer warning boards of trustees, howsoever named. These would meet once every month and reports would be given by the Executive on subjects which were thought may bear some significance with the council, inquiries would be asked and replied. Exhortation and support may be given by the board of trustees to the Executive yet this was about to the extent customer commitment went. All the more as of late, commitment has altogether created in medicinal services associations and this was to some degree in light of the ascent of consumerism and specifically with the improvement of online networking. All the more particularly identified with wellbeing, the ascent of the clinical administration development exuding from real patient security issues in Australia, United Kingdom, and the United States of America has seen the improvement of a theory that shopper commitment in understanding wellbeing isn’t just helpful however basic in enhancing wellbeing and quality in hospitals9. In Australia, the authority of the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards has been basic since its beginning in the 1970’s in requiring structures, procedures, and results for purchaser commitment through its Accreditation program. All the more as of late, the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care has made purchaser commitment and organization compulsory through Standard 2 “Joining forces with Consumers” of the National Safety and Quality Health Standards10. 9Berger Z, et al. BMJ Qual Saf 2014;23:548– 555. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2012-001769 10National Safety and Quality Health Standards; Australian Commission for Safety and Quality in Health Care; September 2012 10.8.3 | ACSQHC Partnering with Consumers Standard The Australian compulsory Standard is studied like clockwork and requires structures, procedures, and results identifying with buyer associations including: • Governance structures for associations with customers; more often than not through a buyer warning advisory group of the Board • Relevant approaches, techniques, and conventions • Orientation and preparing for purchasers • Consultation with purchasers on issues, for example, tolerant data, assent forms, mind configuration forms, and on wellbeing and quality • Training for chiefs and staff on customer commitment and associations • Reporting to shoppers on wellbeing and quality execution; in Victoria through a yearly answer to the group • Engaging shoppers in plan and examination of wellbeing and quality structures, forms, and outcomes10. Do you recognize what ACSQHC is – find it! 10National Safety and Quality Health Standards; Australian Commission for Safety and Quality in Health Care; September 2012 10.8.4 | A comprehensive way to deal with customer commitment Through the above impacts, customers have turned out to be considerably more obvious in associations. Aside from the customer warning boards of trustees; purchasers are presently routinely observed as contributing and basic individuals from quality and wellbeing advisory groups specifically, including contamination control and patient security panels howsoever named. A few associations now include shoppers in the replying of protests about the association, or if nothing else in the audit of reactions to grievances from a purchaser point of view. Purchaser inclusion on the plan of offices has turned out to be compulsory, and associations will now frequently have an Executive in charge of administering buyer associations in the association. Shopper commitment is likewise starting to be consolidated in enactment. Psychological well-being is a pioneer around there and it is fascinating to take note of that the latest refresh to the Victorian Mental Health Act in 2014 spotlights on individuals with a dysfunctional behavior and their carers being at the focal point of basic leadership about their treatment and care. Moreover the advancement of a companion volunteer workforce for psychological well-being patients is supported in the new Act. So shoppers are progressively being associated with connecting with wellbeing administrations and in addition supporting clinical care…. https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/emotional wellness/practice-and-administration quality/psychological well-being act-2014 10.8.5 | What can clinical pioneers do to advance shopper commitment? A great part of the movement in customer associations and commitment to now has happened at an authoritative level. Be that as it may, clinical pioneers can advance shopper commitment at the administration level through: • Being available to activities and exhortation radiating from your associations customer warning advisory group • Offering to meet with the advisory group and brief buyers on your administration • Approaching the board of trustees to check whether the advisory group can give guidance on your administration • Ensuring that administration configuration, including the plan of patient data handouts and assent data, has contribution from customers • Ensuring that all grumblings about your administration are replied with an eye to the point of view of the shopper and in dialect which is available to the buyer • You should need to consider having a buyer go to your administration board. 10.8.6 | Consumers and Strategic Planning As we have seen above; vital arranging can have numerous results; however one critical result is to draw in shoppers in the arranging of administrations for your association. It would be uncommon these days for buyers not to be essentially associated with the advancement of a key arrangement, and structures are made inside the undertaking intend to build up a vital arrangement for noteworthy customer organization and commitment at all levels through group reviews, group gatherings, center gatherings, and huge commitment and administration of the purchaser warning advisory group. >