Week 6 Professors response discussion thread
This is a discussion thread responding to Professors question to class
This is a discussion thread from the professor to our class. I work in dialysis so really does not affect my workflow at work.
How can nursing informatics help improve the new state guidelines? Please discuss in discussion thread
What a great hot topic as state programs are being initiated across the country. Many healthcare institutions have already implemented state guidelines. The opioid monitoring changes definitely effect nursing workflow. How has your workflow been impacted with these new changes? How can nursing informatics help improve the process?
Assignment Guidelines with Scoring Rubric
The purpose of required threaded discussions is an interactive dialogue among instructors and students to assist the student in organizing, integrating, applying and critically appraising one’s knowledge regarding the nursing profession and selected area of practice. Scholarly information obtained from current sources as well as professional communication is required. Application of information to professional experiences promotes the analysis and use of principles, knowledge and information learned and related to real-life professional situations. Interactive dialogue among instructors and peers foster the development of a learning community as ideas, perspectives and knowledge is shared.
Due Date: First initial posting to the required threaded discussion topic is due by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT. Peer and instructor responses are due by Sunday 11:59 pm MT. All posts for week 8 are due by the close of class on Saturday 11:59 pm MT. Please note that the late assignment policy does not apply to the threaded discussions.
Total Points Possible: Varies with course, please see specific course syllabus. These guidelines are for a required threaded discussion worth 50 points. Please note that week 8 will be worth only 25 points.
Description of the Assignment
1. Initial posting: This is defined to be the initial post in which the student responds to the
required threaded discussion topic. The first posting by a student within the required
discussion area is considered to be the initial posting and will be evaluated using the rubric
criteria. Scholarship in communication is expected. Required scholarly source(s) provide
specific information that thoroughly address the required topic. For the initial posting,
one scholarly source must be presented. The scholarly source must be an outside
source. The student may use the required course textbook (s), assigned readings and lesson
information in the initial post; however, these are not considered outside scholarly sources.
The initial posting must occur before Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT. Initial postings must be at a
2. Peer responses: As part of the threaded discussion requirements, the student must
provide a substantive response to a peer. Substantive responses pose new ideas, ask questions,
and/or generally add to the discussion topic in a meaningful and constructive way.
The peer response must occur on a separate day from the initial posting and instructor response (see below). This peer response must occur before Sunday, 11:59 pm MT. This response does not require a scholarly reference unless information is paraphrased and/or direct quotes are used, then APA guidelines apply. Peer responses must be a minimum of 150 words. References do not apply toward word count.
minimum of 300 words. References do not apply toward word count. ONLY in Week 8, the initial posting must be a minimum of 200 words with a scholarly reference. It remains due by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT.
3. Instructor response: The student must respond to an instructor’s follow-up questions. The
instructor’s question may be directed to the student or may be a question directed to another
student in the section. The response must be comprehensive and scholarly in nature. Instructor
responses must be a minimum of 150 words. References do not apply toward word count.
The response to the instructor must occur on a day different from the initial post and a day
different from the peer response. Responses to the instructor must occur before Sunday, 11:59
4. For week 8 only: Students are expected to post a peer response or an instructor post but are not
required to do both. These posts must be a minimum of 100 words. References do not apply
toward word count. The peer or instructor response must be on a different day than the initial
post and must occur before Saturday, 11:59 pm MT due to the shorter week.
1. The initial posting must be provided before Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT.
2. The initial posting must have at least one scholarly outside source that is cited within the
posting and referenced. Required course textbooks, assigned readings and lesson information
are not considered to be outside scholarly sources.
3. Initial posting must be a minimum of 300 words; peer responses and instructor responses a
minimum 150 words.
4. The peer responses and instructor responses must be provided before Sunday, 11:59 pm MT.
5. All postings are substantive and relate to the graded threaded discussion topic.
6. Only one small quote (15 words or less) within the entire initial posting is accepted.
7. Postings must occur on 3 separate days.
8. For week 8 only: the required postings are amended due to the shorter week. Two posts are
required. One initial post and either a peer response or an instructor response. Initial post must
be a minimum of 200 words and the peer or instructor response must be a minimum of 100
words. Both posts are required to be on two separate days. All posts must be made by
Saturday, 11:59 pm MT.
Criteria for Content
• Scholarliness: In this category, the student will conduct a search of the current databases and locate valid, relevant, and reliable information for the required topic. Each reference must be scholarly.
• Application of Course Knowledge: In this category, the student demonstrates the ability to analyze and apply principles, knowledge, and information learned in the course lesson and outside readings. This information is then applied to a real-life professional situation as an example.
• Interactive Dialogue: In this category, the minimum requirements are to provide an initial posting to the graded threaded discussion topic by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. In addition, one peer response and one instructor response are required. These postings must be completed by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. The initial posting, peer response, and instructor response must be on 3 separate days.
• Grammar, Syntax, APA: Proper grammar, APA, and syntax is required for all posts. Students should follow the APA Manual 6th Edition. Additional APA information is available in Course Resources.
• Participation Requirement: One initial posting, one peer response and one instructor response (for a total of 3 posts for the week) are required on 3 separate days.
• Participation Deadline: The student must provide a substantive response to the graded threaded discussion topic. This must be posted by Wednesday, 11:59 pm MT of each week. Peer and instructor responses must be posted by Sunday, 11:59 pm MT.
• For week 8 only: the required postings are amended due to the shorter week. Two posts are required. One initial post and either a peer response or an instructor response. Initial post must be a minimum of 200 words and the peer or instructor response must be a minimum of 100 words. Both posts are required to be on two separate days. All posts must be made by Saturday, 11:59 pm MT.
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
1. Instructor reserves the right to submit any threaded discussion posting to TurnItIn in order to verify the originality.
2. When journals are used as the outside source of information, it is preferred that the journal be peer reviewed. The Chamberlain online librarian is very helpful in assisting you to find an article related to your topic. If you have questions concerning scholarly sources, please refer to the handout entitled “What is a scholarly source” located under “Course Resources” tab.
3. Web sites vary in quality and scholarship. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the scholarly nature of the web site. If the instructor determines that the site failed to demonstrate scholarship, points maybe deducted. Students are cautioned to use care regarding .com sites. Some .com sites are excellent such as American Heart Association, but others are built by individuals and scholarliness is lacking. It is recommended that you check with your instructor before using a .com website as a reference.
4. Only one small quote (15 words or less) within the entire initial posting is acceptable. It is expected that the student will paraphrase the information when presenting information from a scholarly source. The scholarly source(s) for the paraphrased information must be cited using APA format. Do not include a number of small quotes even if they are just a few words as your instructor considers a quote to be a quote no matter its limited size.