Global Health Plan
Scenario 1: Maternal Health Care
Review the following videos and article:
● Democracy Now interview of Annie Waldman, reporter with ProPublica into the high death rates of black mothers in New York City (Part I) https://www.democracynow.org/2018/1/11/as_erica_garner_is_mourned_why
● Part II of Democracy Now interview of Annie Waldman https://www.democracynow.org/2018/1/11/serena_williams_reveals_near_deadly_birth
● Black mothers keep dying after giving birth. Shalon Irving’s story explains why https://www.npr.org/2017/12/07/568948782/black-mothers-keep-dying-after-giving-birth-shalon-irvings-story-explains-why
● Link to the ProPublica investigation that shows that women who deliver at hospitals that disproportionately serve black mothers are at higher risk of harm. https://www.propublica.org/article/how-hospitals-are-failing-black-mothers
Scenario 2: Vector Borne/Bacterial Outbreak Review the following video and articles:
● Bubonic plague outbreak in Madagascar https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/11/19/564821692/how-madagascar-took-control-of-its-bubonic-plague-outbreak
● Interview with Dr. Matthew Bonds on the plague outbreak and global health http://researchnews.plos.org/2018/01/04/preventing-plague-strengthening-health-systems-in-madagascar/
● A quick video providing context and explaining the contemporary plague http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/03/health/madagascar-plague-outbreak-bn/index.html
● Tropical mosquitoes carrying disease spreading through Europe http://www.spiegel.de/international/tomorrow/tropical-mosquitoes-gaining-a-foothold-in-northern-europe-a-1090592.html
● The link between Zika and climate change https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/02/zika-and-climate-change/470643/
2. Write a brief paragraph that outlines your overarching philosophy/worldview concerning the selected global health problem and potential solutions. What do you think is the best approach to spending global health funding?
3. Identify 5 global health priorities that you consider to be important that directly relate to your overarching philosophy/worldview from Question 2. Justify each priority with a short statement that summarizes credible and relevant research findings from studies or data
4. Write a short summary (1 paragraph) of how you would spend $100 million addressing your selected global health issue. Identify your main issue(s), target population(s), and specific action(s).