Social Media and the Issue of Privacy in the UAE: An Ethical and Legal Perspective
1.4 Research Aim and Objectives
The primary aim of the research is to undertake an investigation on social media and the issue of privacy in the UAE while focusing on the ethical and legal perspective. The current research would strive to achieve six fundamental objectives including:
1. To investigate the issue of privacy in social media in the UAE
2. To examine the ethical dimension of privacy in social media
3. To analyze the legal provisions put in place by the UAE’s authorities to address the issue of privacy in UAE
4. To explore the provisions put in place by social media platforms in protecting the users against privacy issues.
6. To assess the extent to which the social media users break the legal provisions on privacy.
1.5 Research Questions
Research questions provide the guideline on the aspects to concentrate on to realize the intended research objective. The efforts and strategies to gather data and information should, therefore, be guided by the underlying questions, hence the need to have a list of relevant questions, which include:
1. What is the state of privacy in social media in the UAE?
2. What are the ethical consideration of privacy in social media?
3. What are the legal provisions put in place by the UAE’s authorities to address the issue of privacy in UAE?
4. What features do Social media platforms put in place in protecting the users against privacy issues?
6. In what ways do social media users break the legal provisions on privacy?
1.6 Concept Definition
Data Privacy: refers to the ability of individuals and organization to control private information and data, and decide how and to who to share or allow to access (Navarro-Arribas & Torra 2014)
Social media- digital web platforms used for information sharing and socialization (Cross & Shimonski, 2014)
Ethics- acceptable behavior or the standard used in defining right conduct and morality (Driver, 2013). You may use your operational definition (yours)
Law-the system of rules applied in a society or community to define behavior and demonstrate how people are governed or interrelate as imposed by the authorities within the jurisdiction (Kantorowicz (2014)
Ethical values- the moral standards leading to acceptable (Driver, 2013)
2.0 Literature Review