Francisco Goya’s The Family of Charles IV (24.2) and Diego Velázquez’ The Maids of Honor
• Compare and contrast Francisco Goya’s The Family of Charles IV (24.2) and Diego Velázquez’ The Maids of Honor (19.38).
• In what ways do Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres and Eugène Delacroix seemingly represent the opposing forces of early nineteenth-century French painting? What specific works by these artists exemplify their attitudes and artistic philosophies?
• In what ways is Salvador Dali’s The Persistence of Memory (28.16) exemplary of Surrealism?
• Describe Dadaism in Berlin and Cologne.
• How is the “universal order” reflected in Piet Mondrian’s Composition with Red, Blue, and Yellow (28.27)?
• How is a sense of nationalism shown in Diego Rivera’s Man, Controller of the Universe (28.50)?
• What is the meaning of the symbolism used by Frida Kahlo in The Two Fridas (28.51)?
• What is Representational Surrealism?
• How does Constructivism differ from De Stijl?
• How did the machine aesthetic influence the designs of Le Corbusier?