Bell Hooks is one of the the great social scholars of our time who sadly passed away this year. She coined the term “white supremecist capitalist patriarchy” as a framework to understand the interlocking systems of domination that affect our world on every level.
Watch the Bell Hooks Cultural Criticism video series
There are 8 parts, each about 10 min long. Part 5 and 8 are no longer available because of copywrite issues. This series was made in the 1990’s. There will be films and events that you may not know about that she is discussing, however, listen closely to the way she is talking about the importance of representation.
Bell Hooks: Part 1-8 Playlist Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLMVqnyTo_0&list=PL9A8ADAD83B9B6E7D&index=1
As you watch, reflect and write on the following.
- For each section, share what ideas resonate with you the most and how they connect to the ways we have been critically analyzing Black social dance as it relates to white supremecist capitalist patriarchy. A few sentences for each section is enough.
- How has your perception of Hip Hop dance culture changed over the course of the semester?
- What are you curious to know more about at this point?
- What do you wish we would have covered in class?
- What were your favorite moments this semester?
- What did you learn about your fellow classmates this semester?
- Do you feel inspired to dance more from what you learned?