There are many different types of groups that can exist in an organization, and these will often vary depending on the size and type of organization. Using your company, or one you are familiar with, discuss the following questions:
• What are the similarities and differences of formal and informal work groups?
• What role does diversity play in a group? What are the advantages and disadvantages to having a highly diverse group on a project?
• What role does organizational culture play in the level of success in a work group?
II. Assignment Details
Teams can exist for a myriad of reasons; however, the development process will always be relatively the same. Understanding each of the stages is important as it will allow for an understanding of the process that the team must progress through when brought together for a common goal. Discuss the following:
• Discuss the general characteristics of the 4 stages of team building: forming, storming, norming, and performing.
• Discuss a time when you were a member of a team in your organization. How did your team progress through the four stages? What issues arose, and how did your team overcome them?