Prior to beginning work on the Final Paper, read Steven Strauss’ article, The Connection
Between Education, Income Inequality, and Unemployment:
In your Final Paper, you should address the following based on the information presented in
the article and other research:
• Describe how a country can measure its income inequality.
• Evaluate the effect of income inequality on the U.S. economy, such as unemployment,
economic growth, and other economic factors.
• Estimate the gap between those who hold bachelor’s and higher (master or doctoral)
degrees and those who do not.
• Explain reasons why the inequality gap between educated and less-educated workers
has been widening.
• Evaluate whether increasing opportunities for higher education can reduce income
• Analyze what else causes U.S. income inequality to widen.
• Recommend how to reduce educationally based income inequality or other factors if
you were a federal policy maker.