Prepare a financial analysis of a healthcare firm based on the firm’s most recent annual report.
- What is the firm? What does it do? Where does it get its money?
- Looking over the most recent two years, are there any surprising changes in assets or liabilities? Do you see a noted rise in certain revenues or expenses? Are profits rising, falling, or staying flat?
- Look through the “notes” and see if anything jumps out. One-time expenses? Odd write-offs? Legal settlements? Unexpected costs?
- Calculate the major financial ratios and, if possible, compare them to accepted ratios for the industry. (For nonprofits this is very hard)
- What percentage of the fund-balance is restricted (for nonprofits)? Why are the funds restricted?
- If it is a for-profit firm, did the firm pay dividends? How much?
- If the firm raises funds, what is the cost of its fund-raising? That is, what percentage of all funds raised needs to be expended on the fundraising operation?
Note: These are very large groups. You needn’t have everybody in the group speak during the presentation. I will assume that all contributed to the project.
Abusharr, Elias, McGulgan, Vrabel, Ali, Garibaldi, Mironidis, Vulapalli
Arvind Maheta, Guadalupe, Mostoff, Wessler, Xiao, Aydinoglo, Gulati, Obed
Benbrahim, Horwath, Asante, Dominguez, Brenner, Krynicka, Reismann, Golliday
Bruno, Kurti, Solomon, Casareno, Liang, Stepniak
Chen, Mahoney, Stone, de los Santos, Masud, Thuzar
Group 1 Smile Train
Group 2 Catholic Relief Services
Group 3 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Group 4 Doctors Without Borders (USA)
Group 5 Hackensack Hospital