How have changes in print ad portrayal of females over the last 15 years affected gender socialization?
- Literature Review [this will be the meat of your paper]
- Using Goffman’s theories and work to study this, body display in advertisements affecting gender behaviors from 1979-1991 (Yang, 1997)
i. Methodology and analysis used –
- Quantitative: primary data analysis – from data collected by the researcher OR secondary data analysis – from a database; statistical model used
- Qualitative (e.g. interview, content analysis, observation)
- Level of analysis (micro, meso, macro)
ii. Sample size and composition (i.e. n=2,500; 90% respondents white females ages 21-48 drawn from a national probability sample)
iii. Identification of key variables and their measurement
- Independent variable(s) and dependent variable(s)
- Measurement: e.g. gender role attitudes were measured on a Likert Scale (1-5) from very traditional to very egalitarian.
iv. Hypotheses of the authors
v. Key findings
vi. Analyze strengths and weaknesses of article
- Differences in affects of gendered stereotypes in print ads on gendered socialization in patriarchal vs matriarchal countries (Oderkerken-Schroder, du Wulf and Hofstee, 2002)
- Reflection hypothesis to understand how gender role socialization is affected by print advertisements (source TBD)
- Analysis/Synthesis of sources and how they answer my research Q
- Future Research – In this section, I will identify some additional related questions that came to mind during my research but were not answered in the literature I reviewed.
- Conclusion – In this section I will recap my research question and key findings.