Take a look at the image of the painting Memento #5 – Kerry James Marshall — Google Arts & Culture https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/memento-5-kerry-james-marshall/ZgGvKUm7eu861Q
- Which of the 4 roles of the artist mentioned in chapter 1 do you think this artist fits into the best? Why?
- What has the most emphasis in the work, or what is its focal point? What does that tell you about the work?
- What associations does this work bring up for you? Tell us what element, principle of design or piece of subject matter helps make each association?
- How does the way the medium is handled (roughness or smoothness of paint, stone, etc.) affect your interpretation? Can you imagine it being handled another way?
- How does the artist’s identity affect how you interpret the work?
- What historical or environmental relationships affect how you interpret the work?