1) Consider Ong’s demonstration of women of color physicists engaging in projects of fragmentation and multiplicity. Describe an example from media that you have consumed (a TV show, a movie, a book) in which a character engaged in either fragmentation or multiplicity. As a part of your description, you should integrate an explanation of either fragmentation or multiplicity.
2) Consider McDermott and Varenne’s argument that Adam was acquired by Learning Disability. Describe an example from media that you have consumed (a TV show, a movie, a book) in which a character was acquired by a label. As a part of your description, you should integrate an explanation of what it means to be acquired by a label.
Questions 3 – 5 – answer two.
3) Choose ONE distinction: de Certeau’s distinction between voyeurs and walkersOR Ingold’s distinction between transport and wayfaring. Explain this distinction, describing what is missed/overlooked/invisibilized when adopting a perspective that abstracts from experience. As a part of your explanation, you should integrate a description of an example provided by de Certeau or Ingold.
4) Consider Goffman’s explanation of how a working consensus is collaboratively achieved by participants in a given social situation. Describe an example from your everyday life in which you accepted the definitional claims of another participant, so as to maintain a working consensus in your interaction. As a part of your description, you should integrate a description of this social situation and an explanation of how this social situation was a collaborative, interactional achievement.
5) Choose ONE social setting: EITHER the local physics community described by Ong OR the classroom described by McDermott and Varenne. Describe this social setting, explaining how it complicates, enriches, and/or exemplifies the understanding of communities of practice described by Lave and Wenger. As a part of your description, you should integrate an explanation of communities of practice