- Mortality rates for males (per thousand)from Coronary Heart Disease(CHD) vary as follows in a British Study:
Describe what the data above indicate about the link between social status and mortality rates. In your analysis, be sure to calculate the percentage variations between these mortality rates to reinforce your arguments. (6 marks).
- A health plan provides 70% coverage of therapeutic massage therapy. Each massage therapy treatment costs a total of $120. Under this plan, clients used 750 hours of massage therapy services in a 3 month period. After some analysis of usage and breakeven levels, the plan changed their coverage to 60% coverage of therapeutic massage therapy. As a result, in the next 3 month period, clients used 580 hours of massage therapy services. Given the above, calculate the following: (Show all your work for full marks)
a) Calculate the cost to the plan with the original level of coverage, and the cost to the plan with the new level of coverage.(4 marks).
b) Calculate the arc elasticity of demand for massage therapy among the clients, based upon their usage and cost. Explain the behaviour of the clients based upon this calculation.(6 marks)
- Prudent Insurance provides extended health benefits as well as dental, optical and prescription drugs to employees of EKSWI Corporation. EKSWI pays 50% of the insurance coverage. The insurance plan has a 23% copayment clause and a loading factor of 67%. Each subscribe uses $580 of dental services, $200 worth of optical services, $650 worth of prescription drugs, and $325 worth of extended health benefits in a year. Given the above, please calculate the annual and monthly cost of the insurance premiums to the individual subscriber. Please show all of your work clearly and completely to earn full marks.( 10 marks).
- In 2015 a full service hospital with 250 beds had 17,850 admissions. The average length of stay per patient was 4.9 days. Full capacity is 100%. Using the above figures, calculate the following:
a) Total hospital capacity(measured in bed –days) (3 marks )
b) The 2015 occupancy rate(in percentage, to two decimals). (3 marks)
c) The hospital takes measures to reduce the length of stay and increases admissions to 19,500. If this raises the occupancy rate to 97.5%, please calculate the new, shorter length of stay . (4 marks)
- (a)Carefully explain the difference between a change in quantity demanded and a change in demand, and discuss the underlying causes of each. (5 marks)
(b) List and describe 5 factors that could cause an increase in demand for dental services.(5 marks)
- List and describe the three major tasks of economics in the context of health economics( 6 marks).
- Distinguish between health care and medical care by first defining these two terms and then contrasting them. ( 4 marks).
- In the provision of medical coverage to a community, explain the term “flat of the curve medicine” and explain how this relates to analyzing the costs and benefits of the provision of health services. (5 marks).
- When calculating the slope of a line, explain the difference between a direct relationship between two variables and an inverse relationship between two variables. (4 marks).
- In a population of a particular community of 25,000 who were alive at the beginning of the year, there are 1300 people who died during the year. Answer the following two questions based upon the above: (show your work for full marks)
a) Mortality rate ( 2 marks)
b) Number of life years that existed during the year (3 marks).
- In the Canadian health care system, please list and describe the major economic units, and also classify them as consumers, suppliers, third parties or regulators.(10 marks).
- Physician supply and services provided are shown below. Please calculate resource availability and utilization expressed in terms of rates per 1000 of both physicians per thousand population as well as physician services per 1000 population. Also comment on trends between 2014 and 2016.(10 marks)
Year Population Physicians Medical Services
2014 3,250,000 4,522 25,275,500
2015 3,275,000 4,634 25,850,000
2016 3, 300,000 4,715 26,325,000