You are the infection control nurse in your 75-bed nursing home. You have an attached 10 bed unit for dementia care. One of your residents has returned from a week with their family and has developed a fever and cough. You suspect that this resident may have contracted a new respiratory infection that has just recently been seen in the community, Covid – 19. Develop a checklist that the facility can use for this case and any future disease outbreaks.
• What are the symptoms of a respiratory infection with Covid – 19?
• How would you identify and manage ill residents?
• What extra precautions would need to be taken for the dementia residents?
• What type of supplies would you need?
• What staff precautions would need to be taken?
• What training would staff need?
• What considerations would be needed for visitors?
Johns Hopkins Map
Interactive outbreak investigative exercise
Washington State COVID19