: Government And Business
Topic: Government And Business
Pick one of these questions;
1-) To what extent do you agree that the public service ethos exist but is changing?
2-) To what extent do you agree that management in the public sector is no different to management in the private sector?
3-)What explains the increasing regulation of the public services and is it a ‘good thing’?
4-)To what extent do you agree that public sector trade unions are outdated and no longer have a role?
5-) Can the notion of the ‘Big Society’ be meaningfully pursued in the age of austerity?
Answering a question from about a lecture, in a 11 week Government and Business course which makes the 90 % of the end grade for course. University year 3.
I will upload the lecture itself, its slides, and reading list in the documents. As soon as a question is picked.
Assignment task is below.
The objectives for this essay are as follows:
– To encourage you to process and use various types of source data material to develop an argument.
– To prompt you to develop clear and coherent arguments.
– To allow to you explore an issue in-depth.
– To help you develop your critical faculties through evaluating the material and data you use in your essay.
– To help ensure that you develop well-grounded and supported arguments
– To encourage analytical and conceptual precision.
The assessment criteria used will be the following:
– Focus on the question: Answering the question posed.
– Structure and coherence of the essay: Clearly and rationally presenting the issues to develop a strong and plausible argument.
– Coverage of the relevant literature: Drawing upon the relevant literature in addressing the issues.
– Clarity of the arguments: Displaying an appreciation of the concepts and issues involved
– Analytical and critical insight: Challenging and appraising the quality of the literature and available
– Well grounded: Supporting and giving substance to your arguments, and avoiding speculation, prescription and unsubstantiated views.
There are more questions available, contact if needed.
If you cant pick for some reason;
Do this one (question 2)
To what extent do you agree that management in the public sector is no different to management in the private sector?
Ackroyd, S., Hughes, J. and Soothill, K. (1989) Public Sector Services and their Management, Journal of Management Studies, 26:6
Boyne, G. (2002) Public and private management: What’s the difference? Journal of Management Studies, 39:1.
Stewart, J. and Ranson, S. (1988) Management in the public domain, Public Money and Management, 8:1-2, 13-9
Ashburner, L. Ferlie, E., Fitzgerald, L. (1996) Organizational transformation and top down change: The case of the NHS, British Journal of Management, 7:1-6
Baker, R. (1969) Organization theory and the public sector, Journal of Management Studies, 6:1, 15-32.
Bolton, S. (2004) A simple matter of control: NHS hospital nurses and new management, Jounral of Management Studies, 41:2
Brunsson, N. and Sahlin-Andersson, K. (2000) Constructing Organizations: The example of public sector reform, Organization Studies, 21:721
Clarke, J. (2004) Dissolving the public realm? The logics and limits of neo-liberalism, Journal of Social Policy, 33:1, 27-48
Martin, G. And Currie, G., and Finn, R. (2009) Leadership, service reform and public service networks: The case of cancer-genetics pilots in the English NHS, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 19:769-94
Dopson, S. and Stewart, R. (1990) Public and private sector management: The case for a wider debate, Public Money and Management, 10:1, 37-40
Fottler, M. (1981) Is management really generic? Academy of Management Review, 6:1, 1-12
Jacobs, L. (2014) The contested politics of public value, Public Administration Review, 74:4
Magee, J. and Frasier, C. (2014) Status and power: The principal inputs to influence for public managers, Public Administration Review, 74:3
Marquand, D. (2004) The public domain is a gift of history, Now it is at risk, New Statesman, 19 January
Murray, M. (19775) Comparing public and private management: An exploratory essay, Public Administration Review, 35:4, 364-71
Noordegraaf, M. And Ven der Meulen, M., (2008) Professional power play: Organizing management in health care, Public Administration, 86:4, 1055-69
Perry, J. and Rainer, H. (1988) The public-private distinction in organisation theory, Academy of Management Review, 13:2, 182-201
Ring, P. And Perry, J. (1985) Strategic management in public and private organizations: Implications of distinctive contexts and constraints, Academy of Management Review, 10;2, 276-86.
Stewart, J. and Clarke, M. (1987) The public service orientation: Issues and dilemmas, Public Administration, 65: summer, 161-77