*APRN: There are currently four (4) APRN roles recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN…yes that is the NCLEX ;-). These roles are Certified Nurse Practitioner (CNP), Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS), Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), and Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM).
More information about these roles can be found at APRNS in the US (Links to an external site.).
- Educational background; BSN University of South Alabama 2014, MSN UAB 2018
- Place of employment- Neurology and Neurodiagnostics of Alabama
- Job Title-CRNP
- Primary professional responsibilities-same as before
- Length of time in advance practice role-2 years
- How/why did you select this nurse and what is your relationship to them.
- What are the certification requirements for this advanced practice specialty-I guess just a board certification, mine is AGACNP
- How does this nurse describe their professional and personal roles
- How did the APRN acquire their current position-social capital, my mother used to work with Dr Counce and she happened to need an NP and called my mom because she knew I was looking for a job
- Role expectations
a. What are their role expectations?
b. What do colleagues expect from them? Timely, respectfulness, driven
c. What do clients expect? Knowledgeable provider, compassion, empathy
d. What does their employer expect? Responsible, owns their actions, good communication, show up
e. How do the above role expectations conflict with each other?
- What are the major barriers to practice in this advanced practice specialty? Right now COVID…we are doing a lot of telemedicine but also still seeing patients in office and it can cause us to get behind on phone visits some days and we get asked about COVID ALL THE TIME even when we are a specialty clinic and it’s our area of expertise
- If YOU had the opportunity to acquire this advanced practice role/position, how would YOU emulate this nurse?
- What skills, knowledge, educational experiences, and personal characteristics would YOU need to develop before you would be qualified to assume this role?
- How did this interview affect your own plans for career advancement?