• Explain the relationship between nursing, the social determinants of health, and primary health care.
• Identify participative, evidence-based health promoting interventions for individuals, families, and carers from diverse backgrounds including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
• Demonstrate integration of knowledge and skills by providing safe, effective
care for individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds in community settings.
Community nurses can assist in improving health outcomes for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples by understanding cultural safety in practice. This begins with acknowledging the impact Australia’s history has on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders and reflecting on our own conscious and unconscious bias.
Assignment Question Part A
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of using reflection within your future nursing practice, especially when working with clients from other cultures.
- Using the Rolfe, Freshwater and Jasper framework for reflection (2001), reflect on the three following concepts.
o What you already knew about Australian history and its impact onAboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health outcomes.
o So What have you learnt in HNN217 that has developed your
understanding of the impact Australian history has on Aboriginal and/or
Torres Strait Islander health outcomes.