Chapter Discussion Questions
- How should teachers balance the concern over restrictive or intrusive interventions with the need to use the most effective intervention?
- How can teachers use informal procedures to decrease unwanted behaviors?
Define the following types of informal procedures that can be used to decrease unwanted behaviors:
(a) situational inducement
(c) chain stopping
(d) proximity control
- Why should teachers begin with level I procedures before moving to more restrictive or intrusive interventions?
- How can differential reinforcement procedures be used to improve the classroom behavior of students? Define the following basic differential reinforcement schedules:
(a) differential reinforcement of other (DRO) behavior
(b) differential reinforcement of incompatible (DRI) behavior
(c) differential reinforcement of alternative (DRA) behavior
(d) differential reinforcement of low rate (DRL) behavior
- When would a teacher move to a level II procedure? What needs to be known before extinction can be used?