SECURITY POLICY & STANDARTS
Part 1: Research Remote Access Policies (0/1 completed)
Note: In this part of the lab, you will review internet resources on remote access policies in order to form a basis for their purpose and usage. Understanding the reason behind a remote access policy is key to understanding the component policies and procedures. Please take the time to review the research thoroughly and think through the concepts of the policy itself.
- In your browser, navigate to and read the “Remote Access Policy” template at https://www.sans.org/information-security-policy/.
- Using your favorite search engine, locate a remote access policy for a higher education institution.
- Using your favorite search engine, locate a remote access policy for a healthcare provider.
- Write a brief summary of the information during your research. In your summary, focus on the key elements of the remote access policy. You should also identify any unique elements of remote access policies for higher education and healthcare institutions. Be sure to provide links to the remote access policies you identified in steps 2 and 3.
Part 2: Create a Remote Access Policy (0/7 completed)Note: As you found in your research, different industries have similar but different policies. When using a policy template, it is important to ensure that the template matches the needs of your specific industry and business.
- Review the following risks and threats found in the Remote Access Domain:
The organization is a local credit union that has several branches and locations throughout the region.
Online banking and use of the internet are the bank’s strengths, given its limited human resources.
The customer service department is the organization’s most critical business function.
The organization wants to be in compliance with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) and IT security best practices regarding its employees.
The organization wants to monitor and control use of the internet by implementing content filtering.
The organization wants to eliminate personal use of organization-owned IT assets and systems.
The organization wants to monitor and control use of the e-mail system by implementing e-mail security controls.
The organization wants to implement security awareness training policy mandates for all new hires and existing employees. Policy definitions are to include GLBA and customer privacy data requirements, in addition to a mandate for annual security awareness training for all employees.
- Identify a security control or countermeasure to mitigate each risk and threat identified in the Remote Access Domain. These security controls or countermeasures will become the basis of the scope of the Remote Access Domain policy definition to help mitigate the risks and threats commonly found within the Remote Access Domain.
- Review the following characteristics of the fictional Healthwise Health Care Provider:
Healthwise has several remote health care branches and locations throughout the region.
Online access to patients’ medical records through the public Internet is required for remote nurses and hospices providing in-home medical services.